Elderly Woman Dies After Clothes Catch Fire
Lastest News Headlines:
Get Breaking News First
CHICAGO (CBS) – An elderly woman was killed Wednesday when her clothes caught fire as she attempted to light the pilot on a stove at her Bridgeport home.
Consuelo Gandara, 89, of W. 31st St., suffered burns on more than 90 percent of her body and was pronounced dead 3:14 p.m. at University of Chicago Hospitals, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner’s office.
The woman was attempting to light the pilot on her stove when her night clothes caught fire about 6:15 a.m., Fire Media Affairs spokesman Joe Roccasalva said.
The fire did not spread and nobody else was injured, Roccasalva said.
An autopsy is scheduled for Thursday, according to the medical examiner’s office.