Carbon Monoxide Leak Sickens Three

CHICAGO (STMW) – Three people were taken to area hospitals in serious condition after a carbon monoxide leak in a West Side apartment building Thursday night.

A Level 1 HazMat was called to the building about 8:40 p.m. at 3345 W. Fulton Blvd. after residents of the three-story apartment building complained of feeling sick, Fire Media Affairs Chief Joe Roccasalva said.

Firefighters found a CO leak and high levels of carbon monoxide, Roccasalva said.

Three people were taken to area hospitals in serious condition, two to John H. Stroger, Jr. Hospital of Cook County and one to Mount Sinai Hospital, Roccasalva said. Five people refused medical treatment.

Those hospitalized suffered from nausea, vomiting and headaches, Roccasalva said.

© Sun-Times Media Wire Chicago Sun-Times 2010. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed

Daily Weather Reports Delivered To You!SIGN UP NOW: Get daily weather reports every morning from meteorologist Steve Baskerville!
CBS Sports Radio RoundupGet your latest sports talk from across the country.

Listen Live