CBS 2 Chicago wbbm7801059 670 The Score

Local

Downed Wire Sparks House Fire

House Fire (Photo by David McNew/Getty Images)

House Fire (Photo by David McNew/Getty Images)

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

ROUND LAKE BEACH, Ill. (STMW) – A downed wire shorted electricity in a northwest suburban home and sparked a fire Thursday afternoon.

The fire was reported in a one-story single family home in the 1400 block of Cherokee in Round Lake Beach at 4:36 p.m., Round Lake Fire Dept. Capt. Tony Carraro said. A neighbor called in the blaze, which was caused by a downed wire that made contact with a power source in the home and shorted out inside a wall.

No injuries were reported and firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze in about 20 minutes, Carraro said. No one was home when crews arrived.

© Sun-Times Media Wire Chicago Sun-Times 2010. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed