ST. CHARLES (STMW) — A man was charged Saturday for severely beating a 2-year-old girl Wednesday at a west suburban St. Charles motel where he had been living for the past six months.

James C. Cooper, 27, who was living in the motel at 1520 E. Main St., was taken into custody Friday at 2 a.m. without incident, according to a release from St. Charles police. Cooper had been living in the motel for the last six months and was charged Saturday with aggravated battery to a child, according to the release.

Cooper was located by police at a house in the 400 block of Roberts Lane in Batavia, according to the release.

At 8:13 a.m. Wednesday, St. Charles Fire and Police personnel were dispatched to a call of a 2-year-old girl who was unresponsive, not conscious and not breathing at the Super 8 Motel at the Main Street address.

Upon arrival, emergency response personnel noted that the child had bruising around the head, eyes and mouth. It was learned that the suspect — Cooper — left the area on foot shortly before the arrival of police, according to the release.

The mother of the victim told police that she and her 2-year-old had been staying with the man at the Super 8 Motel since April.

It is alleged that Cooper battered the mother by striking her about the head with his fists. The 2-year-old child began to cry and he began to yell at her to “shut up,” held her by the arms and began shaking her while being suspended in the air, according to the release.

Cooper allegedly then slammed the child face down on the bed. At that time the child was unresponsive, not breathing and bleeding from the mouth. The victim’s mother began giving her child CPR and called 911.

The child was stabilized and then transported to Delnor Hospital for treatment. A short time later, the child was airlifted to Central DuPage Hospital in Winfield.

She was suffering from multiple broken bones, a hemorrhage to the brain, and possible brain damage due to lack of oxygen. She has been intubated to assist with breathing, and the child’s condition continues to be critical but stable, according to the release.

Once the investigation was complete, police on Friday night contacted the Kane County State’s Attorney’s office and upon hearing the elements of the offense, the state’s attorney’s office authorized the charge, which is a Class X felony.

Cooper was held overnight at the St. Charles Police Detention Facility and then transported today to the Kane County Jail for bond call. Bond information was not immediately available. If convicted, Cooper could be sent to prison for 6 – 30 years.

It was also determined that Cooper was wanted on other outstanding arrest warrants out of Cook and Kendall Counties.

The U.S. Marshal’s Office along with members of the Kane County Major Crime Task Force assisted St. Charles Police personnel with the investigation.

(Source: Sun-Times Media Wire © Chicago Sun-Times 2010. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Watch & Listen LIVE