Police Urge Caution In Wake Of Attempted Abduction
Lastest News Headlines:
Get Breaking News First
LEMONT, Ill. (STMW) – Lemont police are urging residents to be cautious and make sure their children are aware of appropriate safety measures, in the wake of the attempted abduction of a 16-year-old girl in the southwest suburban last week.
On Wednesday at approximately 7:15 p.m., the Lemont Police Department received a report of an attempted abduction in the area of First Street and McCarthy Road, a release from police said. An adult male, described as white, having close-cropped hair and facial stubble, driving an older model dark green sport utility vehicle, pulled over and asked directions from a 16-year-old girl who was walking in the 500 block of First Street.
The man got out of the SUV and grabbed the girl’s arm while attempting to force her into his vehicle, the release said. The girl was able to escape and immediately called the Lemont Police Department to report the incident. The Lemont Police Department is currently investigating this incident.
Police are asking that anyone who may have information about the incident or the suspect call them, at (630) 257-2229.
Police urge residents to discuss tips for staying safe with their children. They suggest that parents check that children know their full name, address and emergency telephone numbers, including the area codes. Kids and teens who have cell phones are carrying a safety tool, police say, and parents should review calling 911 in an emergency and make sure they understand the importance of checking in with their parents.
Police also encourage parents to to exercise some age-old cautionary measures, such as never approaching a vehicle, not accepting rides from strangers, and if they are approached, to stay alert, because this may be a trick or lure.
© Sun-Times Media Wire Chicago Sun-Times 2010. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.