Sheriff’s Office Makes DNA ID From Bone Fragments

CHICAGO (AP) — A mystery of human remains found in a Cook County forest preserve six years ago has been solved thanks to DNA tests of a leg bone.

In a news release on Tuesday, the sheriff’s department says tests determine the remains found in unincorporated Palos Township southwest of Chicago have been identified as those of 49-year-old Glenn Serratt of Justice.

The department says the case marks the first DNA match for its investigators using bone fragment remains.

Investigators could not determine the cause of death but they do not believe foul play was involved in Serratt’s death.

The bones were found in December 2004 — three months after Serratt was dropped off to go camping in the area where his remains were found.

(© Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

  • Rhonda Serratt

    Well let me clarify a few things in regards to this story you have released about Glenn Serratt.I am the mother of three of his children ages 20,18 and 14.When Glenn was found in Dec 2004 he age would have been 43,he was found about 11 days before his 44th birthday.The Serratt family has a lot of questions as to WHY it took 6 yrs to identify Glenn.See the Cook County Sheriff’s department tells the media what they want people to know or to cover things up.It’s funny how they put out in the media the FBI has the credit for identifying Glenn when we all spoke with Cold Case Detectives and they never even disclosed that information to us.And The FBI came looking for Glenn about 2 yrs ago(un-related to identifying him) .In almost 6 yrs he has been missing we have tried to missing persons reports with no luck cause the police wouldn’t take the reports.And what’s so upsetting to the family is that the Illinois State Police Lab had Glenn’s DNA profile already in their system due to the fact he was a convicted felon.State law requires all convicted felons to submit DNA before being released out on parole.Glenn’s DNA was submitted to the lab in Sept 2003 and he was released in Oct 2003.So tell me if the lab already had his DNA.And when his DNA was submitted from his remains in early 2005(about 1 or 2 months after medical exam @ morgue).How could it take 5 yrs & 10 months to give him a name and no longer a John Doe??? There is a lot of things about this situation that don’t add up or make any sense.And that the fact his body ALSO laid in the morgue for 6 YEARS????? Again A LOT OF things that the family what’s answers to.PLEASE HELP US!!! The family does greatly appreciate the fact someone finally done their job and worked Glenn’s John Doe file and gave him his real name and no longer JOHN DOE.And we give credit to those people but in between these 6 yrs someone hasn’t done their job.

  • Kelsey Serratt

    this is WACK!

blog comments powered by Disqus
Daily Weather Reports Delivered To You!SIGN UP NOW: Get daily weather reports every morning from meteorologist Steve Baskerville!
CBS Sports Radio RoundupGet your latest sports talk from across the country.

Listen Live