Local

Man Sues Diocese Claiming Ex-Priest Abuse

View Comments
(Credit: Tim Boyle/Getty Images)

(Credit: Tim Boyle/Getty Images)

Featured & Trending:

Latest News Headlines:

CHICAGO (STMW) – A 25-year-old Chicago man filed a lawsuit Thursday against convicted sexual abuser Daniel McCormack and the Diocese of Chicago, claiming the ex-priest repeatedly molested him while he was a freshman in high school.

The man, identified in the suit as John F. Doe, claims McCormack sexually touched or abused him more than 15 times at the West Side St. Agatha Church Rectory and Children of Peace Gym between January and October of 2001, according to the suit.

The boy was a freshman at St. Joseph’s High School at the time of the alleged abuse, according to the suit. He further claims church officials negligently failed to tell child welfare or governmental authorities about abuse allegations made by him or other minors.

Two other men — who say they were in middle and high school when McCormack allegedly abused them — filed similar suits against the now-defrocked priest and the Diocese in July. Four other men had previously come forward in May to say McCormack had molested them, church officials said at the time.

All three suits accuse the archdiocese and Cardinal Francis George of negligence for allegedly moving McCormack from the seminary to two parish assignments, even though he had been accused of sexual abuse. It wasn’t until 2006 that parents or students at St. Agatha’s were told about the alleged abuse and McCormack was removed from his position there, according to Thursday’s suit.

The suits also accuse the church of failing to maintain records of alleged reported sexual abuse of minors involving McCormack when he was a student or seminarian. McCormack was a student at Niles College of Loyola University from 1986 to 1990 and attended Mundelein Seminary from 1990 to 1994.

McCormack, 41, received a five-year prison term after pleading guilty in 2007 to charges he fondled five boys at St. Agatha Parish and Our Lady of the Westside School. It was unclear from court papers whether the boy in this case was among the victims in the criminal case.

The suit claims negligence and battery and seeks more than $100,000 in damages.

An Archdiocese spokesperson reached Thursday night said she had not yet seen the suit and had no immediate comment.

© Sun-Times Media Wire Chicago Sun-Times 2010. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed

View Comments