Principal To Parents: No Peanuts At School
Don't Miss This
Get Breaking News First
CHICAGO (WBBM) – The principal of Edison Gifted School where a 13 year old girl died after eating food containing peanut oil has asked parents not to pack their kids lunches containing peanuts or peanut butter.
13 year old Katelyn Carlson, a gifted student and 2nd degree black belt in Tai Kwan Do, died of an allergic reaction after a class Christmas party of Chinese food which may have been cooked in peanut oil, despite the teachers instructions.
LISTEN: Newsradio 780′s John Cody reports
She was pronounced dead at Swedish Covenant Hospital.
In a letter to parents, principal Saundra Gray said her campus at 4929 N Sawyer ‘will no longer have any peanuts in the environment.’
She said “a food service provider for Edison has picked up all the food containing peanuts so it will no longer be a choice on our menu.”
She wrote: “In addition, we are asking that you do not send food containing peanuts to school in your child’s lunch or snack. We know some students rely on peanut butter for their sandwiches, so we understand that this transition might take some time.”
Gray also wrote: “We are hoping that by February 10th, we can be peanut-free in lunches brought into the building.”
The peanut free environment also applies to the sister school, Albany Park Multicultural Academy, on the same campus.
Chicago School Board spokesman Monique Bond says “Some of our schools are peanut free zones, but there is no policy in place to make all schools mandatory peanut free zones.”
Bond said CPS will be taking a closer look at targeting the Allergy Management Policy to specifically address food allergies like peanut products.