CBS 2 Chicago wbbm7801059 670 The Score

Local

Carbon Monoxide Blamed In Death Of Couple

View Comments
Lisa Lewis, 48, and Thaddis Provall, 43 (Credit: CBS)

Lisa Lewis, 48, and Thaddis Provall, 43 (Credit: CBS)

Don't Miss This

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

Updated 1/21/11 9:15 p.m.

CHICAGO (CBS) – A man and woman were found dead in their bed in the Far South Side Roseland neighborhood early Friday, apparent victims of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Lisa Lewis, 48, and Thaddis Provall, 43, both of 226 W. 111th Pl. were pronounced dead at 10:40 a.m. at their home, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner’s office.


Authorities were notified when an adult daughter stopped by to check on the couple, and found them in their bed about 9:30 a.m. High levels of carbon monoxide were found in the home, according to the medical examiner’s office.

A space heater that was being used in the home is suspected of causing the dangerous gas levels.  The home had no carbon monoxide detectors, family members said.

The residents were using a supplemental heater, according to Calumet District police Capt. James O’Donnell. Foul play is not suspected in the deaths, he said.

Fire Media Affairs spokesman Will Knight said fire crews responded to the scene because police requested them there, but no one was taken to a hospital.

Knight could not confirm the carbon monoxide information.

Autopsies are scheduled for Saturday.

Contributing: Sun-Times Media Wire

View Comments