2nd Man Dies After Park Manor Fire
Featured & Trending:
Latest News Headlines:
Get Breaking News First
CHICAGO (CBS) – A second man has died after a fire trapped the two men inside a building in the Park Manor neighborhood.
Theodore McNeal, 86, died Wednesday morning at the University of Chicago Hospitals, where he was being treated for injuries from a fire on Jan. 12 at 6829 S. St. Lawrence Av., officials said. An autopsy on Thursday determined he died from smoke and soot inhalation injuries in the fire.
The fire broke out at 8:55 p.m. on Jan. 12 at the St. Lawrence Avenue address, according to the Chicago Fire Department. Initial reports indicated that people were trapped inside.
Firefighters used a ladder to rescue McNeal from the building. Another man — James Cole, 60 — was found in the basement and pronounced dead that night at the University of Chicago Hospitals.
An autopsy determined Cole died of carbon monoxide intoxication and inhalation of smoke and soot. His death was an accident.
Both men lived at the home, authorities said.
Police said in addition to the two men killed victim, four other people were displaced.
The blaze was extinguished about a half hour after it started. Fire Department officials said no smoke detectors were found at the scene.
(The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.)