Spiegel: Your SB XLV Living Room Over/Uunders
By Matt Spiegel–
For you perhaps, or for the casual fan, or for your guests, we offer further levels of couch enjoyment. The guest who gets the most of the following prop bets correct should win something…you decide what.
All categories, unless otherwise noted, are for the game itself from kickoff to final gun; no pre-game or post-game included. A broadcast “reference,” as stated in the following categories, includes any commercial, video bumper, broadcaster mention, or wordless on-screen graphic.
1. Of the total commercials in the first half of play, which will be represented more; beer or cars? 3 years ago, this was an even split…4 to 4, last two years it was 5-3…won’t tell you which one.
2. Stole this one from a prop bet we heard…it’s too good. Christina Aguilera is doing the National Anthem. How long will she hold the word “brave” at the end of the song? This includes any and all notes hit after the “b,” and concludes when the sound out of her mouth is complete. An unexpected breath in the middle does not change the rules. Be ready to count…a stopwatch would be a plus. The over/under is 5.5 seconds.
3. Predict the total verbal or image references during the game for the very special episode of GLEE, coming up on FOX right after the game. The over/under is 5 and ½.
4. Predict the total verbal or image references during the game for AMERICAN IDOL, with new episodes coming up on Tuesday and Wednesday. The over/under is 6 and 1/2.
5. Predict the total number of camera shots of Green Bay defensive coordinator Dom Capers and his absolutely horrific toupee. If FOX cuts to him several times in the midst of a conversation, all shots count individually. Bonus question: are we sure that’s a toupee, or is it just an impossibly dark, full comb-over? It’s Gene Keady-like. The over/under is 2 and 1/2.
6. Predict the total number of camera shots of the skybox or seat containing Commissioner Roger Goodell. Will Joe Buck and Troy Aikman talk about the labor situation? Again, if FOX cuts to him several times in the midst of a conversation, all shots count individually. Same rules as the others; final gun is the capper. The over/under is 1 and 1/2.
7. Predict the total mentions, verbal or image, of the Chicago Bears. Same rules as the others; each shot or reference counts individually, and the final gun is the capper. The over/under is 3 and ½.
8. How many replay reviews will there be? How many times will referee Walt Anderson go under the hood? The over/under is 3 and 1/2.
9. Predict the total number of close-up camera shots of Brent Keisel’s face, featuring his outstanding beard. The over/under is 3 and 1/2.
10. Name 3 former super bowl winning quarterbacks who will be mentioned by name. This can be in the form of a comparison, or a statistical record, or in any other context. ________________, __________________, and __________________.
Happy gambling America. Now you can make your own, vice-infused fun.
Or, you could just hope for a good game, but you’re not that boring.