Child Starts Fire That Damages Home

ST. CHARLES, Ill. (WBBM) — A west suburban fire official says a tragic house fire yesterday points out why parents need to do everything they can to keep children from playing with fire.

St. Charles Assistant Fire Chief Joe Schelstreet says $150,000 in damage was done to a house and its contents on 11th Avenue yesterday.

LISTEN: Newsradio 780’s Bernie Tafoya reports

He says the fire was started by a 6-year-old boy who was playing with a butane grill lighter in a garage.

Schelstreet says, statistically, the 5- and 6-year-old age group has a “higher incidents of fire setting than most fire-setting by children.”

He says that although butane lighters, like those used to light cigarettes and charcoal grills, are child-resistant, that does not mean they are childproof.

Schelstreet says parents whose kids have shown an interest or curiosity about fire can sign them up for juvenile fire-prevention programs sponsored by their fire departments. Those are programs designed to teach children about how dangerous fire really is.

In yesterday’s fire, no one was injured.

  • whats wron with people

    That is great supervision. They should be arrested not given a hand out from the Red Cross.

  • Kathleen

    Another case of IRRESPONSIBLE PARENTING! Like I always say…Give these kids some chores to keep them busy & they will stay out of trouble & learn to be responsible people. They may not like doing chores now, but when they grow up, they will be thankful to their parents for making them do it!
    These parents need to get a clue!

blog comments powered by Disqus
Daily Weather Reports Delivered To You!SIGN UP NOW: Get daily weather reports every morning from meteorologist Steve Baskerville!
CBS Sports Radio RoundupGet your latest sports talk from across the country.

Listen Live