Local

Lightning Strike Sets House On Fire In Long Grove

View Comments
Fire graphic, generic sized image

(CBS)

Featured & Trending:

Latest News Headlines:

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

LONG GROVE, Ill. (STMW) – Lightning that struck a home’s satellite dish Sunday night in northwest suburban Long Grove started a fire that caused about $25,000 in damage, fire officials said.

Firefighters responded to the fire at the home at 2237 Stratton Lane about 9:19 p.m. and used about 600 gallons of water to quickly extinguish a fire burning at the peak of the roof, according to a release from the Long Grove Fire Protection District. Crews also used a fire extinguisher to put out some hot embers that fell into the attic.

The blaze apparently started when lightning struck a satellite dish on the roof and traveled throughout the home, the release said. The flames did not spread to other areas of the house, but the electrical surge burned out three electrical sockets and tripped eight electrical breakers.

The residents and their dog had already evacuated the home by the time crews arrived, and no none was hurt, the release said. The home was left uninhabitable because power had to be shut off to the building, the release said. The residents made plans to stay overnight in a nearby hotel.

Damage to the home was estimated at $25,000, the release said.

(Source: Sun-Times Media Wire © Chicago Sun-Times 2011. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

View Comments