Blackhawks Playoff Bound, Will Face Canucks In First Round

UPDATED 04/11/11 8:07 a.m.

CHICAGO (CBS) — Despite losing their season finale to the Detroit Red Wings, the Blackhawks will still have the chance to defend their Stanley Cup Championship.

The Dallas Stars had the opportunity to eliminate the Blackhawks and get themselves into the playoffs by beating the Minnesota Wild, but their season and playoff hopes ended with a 4-3 loss.

Even though his team lost, Blackhawks Coach Joel Quenneville was thrilled that Dallas’ loss cleared the way for the Hawks’ entry into the playoffs.

“I’ve never been more excited for a hockey game in my life that I didn’t participate in,” Quenneville said Sunday. “I’m acting like a 2-year-old; maybe a 3- or 4- or 5-year-old, celebrating his first party when he really knew that it was really his birthday. It was unbelievable. We got lucky, and the thing is, let’s take advantage of getting lucky.”

The Blackhawks will be the 8th seed in the Western Conference and will take on the Vancouver Canucks.

The Blackhawks and Canucks split their regular season series with two wins a piece.

The two teams met in the second round of the 2010 playoffs, a series the Blackhawks won in six games.

Date/Time Location
Wednesday, April 13, 9:00 p.m. Vancouver
Friday, April 15, 9:00 p.m. Vancouver
Sunday, April 17, 7:00 p.m. Chicago
Tuesday, April 19, 7:00 p.m. Chicago
*Thursday, April 21, 9:00 p.m. Vancouver
*Sunday, April 24, 7:00 p.m. Chicago
*Tuesday, April 26, TBD Vancouver

*If Necessary

With this season, it’s all I ask to see these guys, at least, four more times.

MAN! I had already conceded. . . . .
    And, then, I Tiger watched.
    And then, I tried to find the other game (blacked out on Center Ice?)
    And then, the fidgeting, cooking, eating, and a casual glance.

Just keep it going as long as you can.
    May the best team win!

• Murphs Upper-Lip

I, too, conceded. Couldn’t scoreboard watch (had to tend to the daughters Pom competition), and when I got home couldn’t really believe the day of sports. Got caught up rather quickly on the boo-yahs ESPN News, and what a day! The Masters had it’s best Sunday in recent memory. The Indian “back” in. “Pink” Floyd pitches a gem, giving me a very nice first period in my fantasy baseball league. And D-Rose BLOWS up, just icing on the cake of Da Boo Season. Today is why we love sports, what a day.

• Jon, Montgomery

fu.c.k vacouver! go hawks!! thank you wild!!!

• Jon, Montgomery

1. i don’t know your e-mail.

2. you can’t prove s.h.i.t!

• CH

keep talking like an a@#@#@e believe me I know ways to get your email and I don’t have to try and prove anything I just know it’s you

• CH

• CH

I’d watch who you try and impersonate J@##@@

Ahhh, just enjoy the party while it lasts.

• bob

i hope the Hawks blow it! they deserve to after playing so lousy in the last few months.

• Murphs Upper-Lip

Well, bob, if the Hawks (and it’s SO possible) make any type of run in the playoffs, you are now excluded from the club of fans enjoying said run.

• Murphs Upper-Lip

• Murphs Upper-Lip

your gay

• CH

So it looks like STAN will keep his job for the summer at least but once again if he didn’t have his dad SCOTTY the guy couldn’t even get a press pass into the locker room

• Denver Deadite

Well, while it would be nice to see Luongo cry yet again, I’m just not expecting much. The Hawks are just too inconsistent to think they can make a serious run of it this year.

On the other hand, they are by no means a slouch even at the 8th seed, as they did get to 97 points, with 4 other playoffs teams only a point or two ahead of them.

But, Vancouver is head and shoulders above the rest of the West, with everybody else in the pack. Man, I really wish we had won yesterday and got that 5 spot.

• Larry

Can the Nucks lose to the Hawks three years in a row in the playoffs? I don’t know about that. It seems like they’re just about due this time. But it’s too hard to predict what will happen, especially with the Hawks being dangerous but so inconsistent. I don’t think the Hawks really have the chemistry to deal with the Nucks this year, especially with the loss of Buff and Ladd and the injuries. For the Hawks to win, they’ll have to play perfect hockey (i.e. on the PP, PK and goaltending) and Q will have to coach out of his mind.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Daily Weather Reports Delivered To You!SIGN UP NOW: Get daily weather reports every morning from meteorologist Steve Baskerville!
CBS Sports Radio RoundupGet your latest sports talk from across the country.