Children May Have Caused Motel Room Fire

GLEN ELLYN, Ill. (WBBM) — Three children, all under the age of five, suffered minor injuries Thursday after apparently setting a fire in a Glen Ellyn motel room.

LISTEN: Newsradio 780’s Bob Roberts reports

The fire caused minor damage to the room in which they were staying at the America’s Best Motel, 675 Roosevelt Rd., in the western suburb.

Deputy Police Chief William Holmer said the children apparently were playing with a cigarette  lighter. The family had two adjoining rooms, and their mother was in the other room at the time the fire occurred, Holmer said. 

The fire was confined to the one first-floor room.  Other residents of the motel were evacuated briefly, but Holmer and the motel clerk said the other patrons were allowed back into their rooms quickly.

Holmer said the injuries were minor.

  • heather

    Firstly my husband child and I rentend a room there for a week of vacaction that worst mistake ever. Half the stories posted are wrong the lady left her kid and was upstairs. Second the children are burnt very badly one has 2nd degree Burns. Any mother that leaves her children in a hotel unattended clearly has issues. Not to mention when we ran downstairs we heard them crying and screaming. It was more then heartbreaking. And just to clear something else up that bothers me about this article the fire is still under investigation the room is destroyed along with the partnering room minimal damage is not a word its beyond that.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Daily Weather Reports Delivered To You!SIGN UP NOW: Get daily weather reports every morning from meteorologist Steve Baskerville!
CBS Sports Radio RoundupGet your latest sports talk from across the country.

Listen Live