UPDATED 05/31/11 12:32 p.m.
CHICAGO (CBS) – Whether it was the heat or the holiday, at least six people are dead, and 19 more are wounded, in a violent stretch of time starting Monday afternoon.
In the earliest reported fatal shooting, a 26-year-old man was shot and killed in the Chatham neighborhood as he tried to protect his girlfriend from an attack by several women.
LISTEN: Newsradio 780′s Bernie Tafoya reports
As the man’s girlfriend was attacked around 7:50 p.m. in the 7600 block of South Eberhart Avenue, several men came up and shot the man several times. The man, identified at Lavarro Taylor, 26, of East Chicago, Ind., was wounded in the head and body, and was pronounced dead at Stroger Hospital of Cook County.
About 11:15 p.m. Monday, a 16-year-old girl was killed and a 26-year-old man was wounded in a shooting.
The man and the girl were driving in a vehicle at 958 W. Garfield Blvd. across from Sherman Park, when an unknown male drove up beside them in another vehicle and pulled out a gun before firing several shots, according to police News Affairs.
Karla Allen, 16, of the 5400 block of South May Street, was dead at the scene, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner’s office. The man was taken in serious condition to Stroger Hospital of Cook County, police said.
In a fourth deadly incident, a man was shot in the abdomen in the Englewood neighborhood and killed.
At 11:56 p.m. Monday, a man — identified by the Cook County Medical Examiner’s office as Jason R. Mann, 27 — was shot in the abdomen in the Eastwood Gardens apartment complex in the 6500 block of South Lowe Avenue, according to police News Affairs.
Mann, who lived in the complex, was pronounced dead at St. Bernard Hospital and Health Care Center at 12:44 a.m., according to the Medical Examiner’s office.
Wentworth Area police detectives were questioning a person of interest Tuesday morning.
Not long afterward, a man was killed and two others were shot on the Southwest Side.
Three people were standing outside in the 7900 block of South Artesian Avenue at 12:08 a.m. Tuesday when a man approached from a gangway and fired several shots at the group before running away, according to police News Affairs.
Brandon Shannon, 25, of the 8000 block of South Artesian Avenue, was dead at the scene, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner’s office.
A 19-year-old man and a 20-year-old woman were also injured and were both shot in the leg, according to police.
A man died early Tuesday after he was shot multiple times in a drive-by shooting on the South Side.
Around 1:30 a.m., a man — identified by the Medical Examiner’s office as Stephen Hill, 20 — was shot multiple times by an unknown suspect who fired shots from a passing vehicle in the 300 block of East 60th Street, according to police News Affairs.
Hill, of the 2500 block of East 77th Street, was pronounced dead at University of Chicago Hospitals at 2:59 a.m., according to the Medical Examiner’s office.
In the latest incident, a 44-year-old man is dead after being shot in the Auburn-Gresham neighborhood.
A gunman fired several shots at a man — striking him in the chest — about 4:20 a.m. in the 1300 block of West 87th Street, according to police News Affairs The unidentified man was dead on the scene, police said.
Several other shootings left victims wounded:
• The first reported shooting happened around 2 p.m. Monday, when a 13-year-old boy was shot while standing in front of his home in the 9400 block of South Indiana Avenue. Someone opened fire from a rear passenger seat of a gray Chevrolet Cavalier passing by, police said.
The boy was taken to Roseland Community Hospital in good condition Monday evening, police said.
• Around 2:15 p.m. Monday, when a 17-year-old boy was hit by gunfire. Two men walked up to the boy wand opened fire in the 1900 block of North Karlov Avenue, police said. He was shot in the upper thigh and is listed in good condition at Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center.
• Just over two over two hours later, a 15-year-old boy was shot in the arm while he worked on a van in the 1100 block of South St. Louis Avenue by a man who accused the boy of trying to steal the vehicle, police said.
The 15-year-old was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, where he was listed in stable condition Monday night, according to police.
• At 7:24 p.m. a person was shot near the intersection of 73rd Street and Western Avenue, police said. The person was taken to Holy Cross Hospital.
• About 8:20 p.m., a male was shot while he sat with his mother on his front porch in the 0-99 block of East 108th Street, police said.
The male, whose age was not specified, heard shots ring out and dove on top of his mother before being shot in the right buttock, according to police. His mother, who was not injured, saw two males shooting from a white Chevrolet sedan, according to the report.
Her son was taken to Roseland Community Hospital, where his condition was stable, police said.
• About 9:20 p.m., a 14-year-old boy suffered a graze wound to the right shoulder and a 16-year-old boy both suffered a graze wound to the buttocks when a passenger in an unknown vehicle shot in their direction in the 1300 block of West 112th Place, police said.
The two boys were taken to Roseland Community Hospital, where they were in stable condition early Tuesday.
• Fifteen minutes later, an 18-year-old man was shot in the knee by an unknown suspect while walking down the street in the 11300 block of South Forest Avenue, according to police.
The teenager was treated and released from an area hospital, police said.
• About 10:10 p.m. a 51-year-old man was shot in the leg by unknown attackers who approached while he sat at a bus stop in the 2400 block of East 75th Street, according to police.
The man was listed in good condition early Monday at Jackson Park Hospital, police said.
• Later in the night, a woman was shot and critically wounded during a fight in Jackson Park, in the shadow of the Museum of Science and Industry.
The 22-year-old woman was shot in the head around 11:15 p.m. Monday in the 5700 block of South Lake Shore Drive, police said. The woman and the friend were walking to a public restroom when they head a fight between a group of males break out.
A suspect pulled out a handgun and fired multiple times, striking the woman in the head, according to police.
The unidentified woman was reported in critical condition at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Earlier reports that she had died were incorrect.
A 17-year-old boy was also shot, police said. He was taken to Provident Hospital of Cook County by his mother.
• Around 11:30 p.m., a 33-year-old man was shot in the buttocks about 11:30 p.m. in the 5300 block of West Ferdinand Street, police said. He was hospitalized in stable condition at Mount Sinai Hospital.
• Six minutes later, a 24-year-old man was shot in the thumb while standing outside a bar in the 3900 block of West Berteau Avenue in a drive-by attack, police said. The man was treated and released at the scene.
• About 1:30 a.m., a man was walking near 31st Street and Rhodes Avenue when he heard gunfire and started running, a Prairie District captain said. He was shot in the leg as he ran, and is listed in good condition at Northwestern Memorial Hospital.
About 1:30 a.m., a man was walking near 31st Street and Rhodes Avenue when he heard gunfire and started running, a Prairie District captain said. He was shot in the leg as he ran, and is listed in good condition at Northwestern Memorial Hospital.
• Fifteen minutes later, a 25-year-old man walked into Stroger Hospital of Cook County with a gunshot wound to the hand, police said.
• At 2:03 a.m., a 16-year-old boy was shot in the 700 block of South Francisco Avenue, police said. He was taken in an unknown condition to Mount Sinai Hospital.
The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.