WAUKEGAN, Ill. (STMW) – Waukegan’s Independence Day fireworks display, which had been canceled, has come back to life after a benefactor stepped up to cover the $25,000 cost.
“The show is back on,” city spokesman David Motley said Friday afternoon, adding only that “an anonymous private donor” came forward after learning that budget cuts had canceled the July 4 tradition.
“Someone read (The News-Sun) story about the fireworks being canceled, and they contacted us (Thursday) and set the ball in motion,” said Motley, who was coordinating arrangements Friday with the city’s usual vendor, Mad Bomber Fireworks Productions of Kingsbury, Ind.
According to Motley, the $25,000 price tag includes the cost of materials and public safety expenses.
City officials huddled Thursday night to arrange such things as the number of police officers that will be needed and a traffic plan, all while looking to avoid overtime costs.
The plan now calls for the show to start at 9:30 p.m. July 4. The fireworks will be launched from a peninsula near the Waukegan Water Plant, which is adjacent to Municipal Beach. Motley noted the display will be “visible anywhere along Waukegan Harbor” and from Sheridan Road.
© Sun-Times Media Wire Chicago Sun-Times 2011. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.