Mom Claims Improper Walgreens Medication Label Caused Son’s Death
Don't Miss This
Get Breaking News First
UPDATED 09/01/11 9:15 a.m.
CHICAGO (CBS) – A 3-year-old boy survived a heart transplant, but had trouble that proved to be deadly with the follow-up medication, and his mother is now suing Walgreens.
As WBBM Newsradio’s Michele Fiore reports, Tatiana Lowe and her son, Albert Dobbins, left the hospital after a successful transplant. Albert was prescribed the medication Tacrolimus afterward.
LISTEN: WBBM Newsradio’s Michele Fiore reports
At 3:03 a.m. June 20, Albert, of the 1700 block of West Lake Street, was pronounced dead at Stroger Hospital of Cook County, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner’s office. An autopsy determined he died of congenital heart disease and the death was ruled natural.
Lowe claims that an employee at Walgreens employee improperly placed a warning on the bottle and verbally advised his mother the medication was to be kept refrigerated.
The lawsuit claims the medicine should have been stored at room temperature.
The wrongful death suit claims Walgreens carelessly and negligently labeled the bottle of medication, improperly verbally directed the boy’s caregivers and failed to verify the manufacturer’s directions.
Walgreens spokesman Jim Cohn said he could not comment on pending lawsuits.
The three-count suit is seeking more than $50,000 plus the cost of legal fees.
© Sun-Times Media Wire Chicago Sun-Times 2011. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.