Hours: 10:00am – 5:30pm
On the second Saturday of December, TBOX gave to me… the 15th annual bar crawl over in Wrigley. I’m already counting down the days for this fun and festive event that seems to be getting better and better each year. The morning will start off as usual at the Cubby Bear for an opening ceremony, then proceed on to 36 (yes, 36!) neighborhood pubs and bars, circling back to Cubby Bear for the finale. Time to put your game face on.
Where: Wrigleyville (3400-3800 corridor of Clark & Sheffield between Roscoe & Grace)
When: December 10, 2011, begins at 8am and finishes around midnight
Why: To get your drink on in true holiday spirit with over 10,000 festive Chicagoans
Cost: $30. It gets you a TBOX participant package that includes admission to all 36 bars participating this year, a souvenir admission badge/lanyard, t-shirt, gym bag, stickers and drink specials ($3 Miller Lites and discounts on Jagermeister drinks). You can pick up your participant kit anytime after October 17, 2011. To purchase your tickets, visit www.festaparties.com.
Proper TBOX Attire
When it comes to apparel for the event, the more outrageous your outfit, the better. Think lots of red and green, reindeer antlers, old school Christmas sweaters, Santa hats, jingling bells, etc. Check out Spirit Halloween’s great holiday themed costumes. They’ve got everything from legitimate looking Santa suits, to sexy little elves and Christmas trees. Another option: funny holiday or TBOX themed t-shirts. You can go the custom, create-your-own route, or visit online shops like www.zazzle.com for cutesy and fun ones that say things like “Dear Santa, I can explain…” and “I’ll be good next year.”
Tips from TBOX Veterans
• Do pick up your participant kit early, that way you’ll get the t-shirt size and color you want. Plus, you’ll avoid waits.
• Don’t go out the night before if you want to last the whole day
• Do wear the most ridiculous holiday outfit you can think of
• Do make sure you’ve got dollar bills for tipping all day
• Do eat a big breakfast to soak up all the booze you’re sure to consume
• Do PACE YOURSELF! You’ve got all day and I’m guessing you don’t want to be the one who has to go home because you are too drunk and well you know…
Do you have a good story from TBOXpast? Leave your comments below; we’d love to hear from you!
Samantha McCarthy is a freelance writer living in downtown Chicago.