ROSEMONT, Ill. — The Chicago Wolves jumped out to a 3-0 lead and held the Grand Rapids Griffins scoreless for the first 50:23 of the game en route to a 3-1 win Sunday night at the Allstate Arena.

Right wing Mark Mancari (G, A) and defenseman Chris Tanev (2A) tallied multiple-point games for Chicago, which won back-to-back home games for the first time this season.

“Our special team units got us off to a quick start tonight,” said Wolves Head Coach Craig MacTavish. “We received a huge boost from them and rode that momentum to the victory.”

Chicago (11-9-1-3) opened scoring when defenseman Ryan Parent skated into the Griffins zone short-handed and rocketed a slap shot over the glove of Grand Rapids netminder Joey MacDonald at 4:19 of the first period.

The Wolves doubled their 2-0 while working on a five-on-three advantage at 10:44 of the opening frame. Center Steve Reinprecht held the puck at the bottom of the far circle and snapped a quick pass to Mancari who was alone in front of the crease and tapped home the puck into an empty net.

Chicago inched ahead 3-0 at 5:35 of the third period. Mancari skated in on a breakaway and fired a shot that hit MacDonald square in the mask and the puck dropped in the crease and left wing Mike Duco skated in and deposited the puck into an empty net.

MacDonald (5-5-1) kicked out 20 shots.

Grand Rapids (10-12-1-2) ended the Wolves shutout bid while working on a five-on-three advantage at 10:23 of the final frame. Defenseman Logan Pyatt’s shot from the near point was redirected by left wing Tomas Tatar past Wolves goaltender Eddie Lack.

Lack stopped 14 of 15 shots in 24:36 of relief duty after he replaced Matt Climie who left the game at 33:23 with an injury. Clime (8-4-0) thwarted all 12 shots he faced before leaving the contest.

The Wolves travel to North Carolina for a pair of games against the Charlotte Checkers starting with a 6 p.m. tilt on Thursday, Dec. 15 at Time Warner Cable Arena.


Grand Rapids 0 0 1 — 1

Chicago 2 0 1 — 3

First Period—1, Chicago, Parent 1 (Tanev), 4:19 sh; 2, Chicago, Mancari 10 (Reinprecht, Tanev), 10:44 pp. Penalties—Clackson, Chicago (roughing), 3:19; Ferraro, Grand Rapids (tripping), 8:58; Tatar, Grand Rapids (interference), 10:03; Smith, Grand Rapids (fighting), 15:09; Roussel, Chicago (fighting), 15:09; Amadio, Grand Rapids (unsportsmanlike conduct), 15:42; Clackson, Chicago (unsportsmanlike conduct), 15:42.

Second Period—None. Penalties—Pare, Grand Rapids (slashing), 1:33; Miller, Chicago (hooking), 8:21; Exelby, Grand Rapids (fighting), 11:20; Clackson, Chicago (fighting), 11:20; Rodin, Chicago (unsportsmanlike conduct), 13:28; Parkes, Grand Rapids (tripping), 16:52.

Third Period—3, Chicago, Duco 5 (Mancari, Erixon), 5:35; 4, Grand Rapids, Tatar 7 (Pyett, Janik), 10:23 pp. Penalties—Exelby, Grand Rapids (boarding), 2:56; Amadio, Grand Rapids (fighting, miscounduct), 6:36; Clackson, Chicago (fighting, misconduct), 6:36; Erixon, Chicago (double minor high-sticking), 8:24; Smith, Grand Rapids (cross-checking), 9:31; Miller, Chicago (slashing), 9:31; Duco, Chicago (slashing), 10:06.

Shots on goal—Grand Rapids: 7-5-15–27. Chicago: 8-8-7–23. Power plays—Grand Rapids: 1-6. Chicago: 1-5. Goalies—Grand Rapids, MacDonald (20-23). Chicago, Climie (12-12), replaced by Lack (14-15) at 33:23. A—3,863. Referees—Tim Mayer and Shaun Davis. Linesmen—Mathieu Chenier and Al Stensland.

Watch & Listen LIVE