CHICAGO (STMW) — Charges were dismissed on Monday for a grocery delivery truck driver charged last month with allegedly sexually assaulting a customer inside her South Loop home.
Guillermo Balingit was charged Nov. 21 with criminal sexual assault for the alleged Oct. 26 attack in the 1100 block of South Michigan Avenue.
But on Monday, a judge ruled a finding of no probable cause and dismissed the case, Cook County State’s Attorney’s office spokeswoman Tandra Simonton said.
It’s unclear what led to the charges being dismissed.
Prosecutors last month had offered an account of the 21-year-old woman’s attack, alleging Balingit, a Peapod driver, made small talk with the woman and told her he knew a technique that could help her with fatigue.
He ultimately led the woman to her bedroom where she allowed him to massage her back and shoulders. Prosecutors alleged Balingit took off the woman’s clothes, grabbed her breasts, kissed and raped her all while the victim said no.
The married father of three was originally arrested for misdemeanor assault for the incident and was given a $10,000 individual recognizance bond. The state’s attorney’s office initially refused to charge him with felony criminal sexual assault — a clear indication they didn’t believe the woman’s claims, his attorney David O’Connor said.
Charges were upgraded on Nov. 21 against Balingit, of the 6000 block of West Byron Street. Judge Maria Kuriakos Ciesil ordered him held on $10,000 bond for the new charge.
Balingit, who is originally from the Philippines, was also ordered to turn in his passport.
(Source: Sun-Times Media Wire © Chicago Sun-Times 2010. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)