2 Teens Charged In South Loop ‘L’ Stop Shooting
Don't Miss This
Get Breaking News First
CHICAGO (CBS) — Two teenage boys have been charged in a shooting that left a man wounded at the busy Roosevelt Road ‘L’ platform in the South Loop.
A 14-year-old boy has been charged with one felony count of aggravated battery with a deadly weapon and a 16-year-old boy was charged with unlawful use of a weapon, according to police.
The victim, a 21-year-old man, suffered a gunshot wound to the upper left torso and was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital, where he was treated and had been released by Tuesday afternoon.
Commuters said some people were trampled as they headed up the escalators to get to safety.
CBS 2’s Derrick Young happened to be exiting a Red Line train in the Roosevelt subway station below just before the shooting happened. He said tensions had been escalating with some people on the train, and “once the train got off, everyone just got crazy. Punches started to fly.” Young said the fight likely migrated from the subway station up to the ‘L’ station.
Chicago Police recovered the handgun at the scene and located the shooter, who was identified by the victim.
Following the shooting, the Guardian Angels began patrolling the station from noon to midnight. The group also said it would beef up its presence on overnight Blue Line and Red Line trains all this week.
The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.