NAPERVILLE, Ill. (CBS) — When the Naperville City Council meets tomorrow night, one member wants to revisit a new, looser liquor law that is due to take effect on May 1.

As WBBM Newsradio’s Regine Schlesinger reports, Naperville councilman Doug Krause believes the stabbing death of the schoolteacher Shaun Wild, 24, at a Naperville bar over the weekend, is just the latest and most tragic example of a situation that has gotten out of control.

LISTEN: WBBM Newsradio’s Regine Schlesinger reports

“After 10 o’clock at night in downtown Naperville, it turns into a mini-Rush Street,” Krause said. “It turns from a family-friendly operation to a different animal altogether.”

Krause is worried about what will happen in three months, when a new law takes effect allowing restaurants to stop serving food, but continue to serve liquor, as of 9 p.m. – two hours earlier than the law currently permits.

Wild was stabbed to death at Frankie’s Blue Room, at 16 W. Chicago Ave. in Naperville. Krause says the violence still broke out even though the nightclub had a good reputation.

“Here’s an establishment that has a good record. I mean, he’s a very upstanding citizen, and he had a problem,” Krause said. “What happens to these places that have absentee owners and are more about the bottom line?”

Krause was the only city council member to vote against the more lenient liquor law. He now hopes more council members will side with him.

The stabbing that killed Wild was preceded by an argument between Wild’s friend, William Hayes III, and stabbing suspect Daniel Olaska, 27.

Authorities said another Hayes was making fun of Olaska drinking beer from a wine glass. In the ensuing argument, Olaska allegedly pulled out a 5-inch folding knife.

Wild, a friend of Hayes, rushed over to stop the fight, but Olaska allegedly stabbed him to death. Olaska also allegedly stabbed Hayes and a third man, bouncer Rafael Castenada.

DuPage County State’s Attorney Robert Berlin said, “This is an utterly senseless act of violence, and there is literally no explanation for the actions that took place.”

Olaska is now being held on $3 million bond.

Watch & Listen LIVE