Don't Miss This
CHICAGO (CBS) — A teenager who claims he was sexually abused by a CTA security guard at an Orange Line stop last year is suing the guard, the CTA and the transit agency’s security companies.
As WBBM Newsradio’s David Roe reports, prosecutors said the guard, Christopher Buchanan, stopped the 17-year-old boy after the teen tried to sneak onto a train. His fare card would not register at the Kedzie Avenue Orange Line ‘L’ stop.
LISTEN: WBBM Newsradio’s David Roe reports
The teen explained that his card was not working, and Buchanan, then 22, said he could go back to his workplace to get money.
Prosecutors say Buchanan took the teen to a restroom, searched him, handcuffed him, and ordered him down on the floor. After that, he allegedly removed the boy’s shoes and socks and rubbed his genitals on the boy’s foot.
Then he let the boy go.
The 16-count lawsuit filed Monday in the Circuit Court of Cook County claims that the CTA, Securitas Security Services USA, Inc., and Star Detectives & Security Agency Incorporated were negligent in hiring Buchanan and not realizing he could be a threat to a minor. The suit also seeks damages against the firms for negligient supervision, emotional distress, third-party contract beneficiary and wrongful imprisonment.
Only one count, wrongful imprisonment, names Buchanan personally.
Buchanan is also the subject of a criminal case. He faces criminal sexual abuse and unlawful restraint charges.
Buchanan, who had been studying criminal justice at DeVry University, was ordered held in lieu of $25,000 bond after being charged in February.
The suit seeks court costs and damages of more than $50,000.
A CTA spokeswoman said she could not comment Monday evening. Representatives of Securitas and Star could not immediately be reached.
The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.
(Source: Sun-Times Media Wire © Chicago Sun-Times 2012. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)