Statement Regarding Ryan Braun’s Sample From Collector

(WSCR) Below is the statement from collector Dino Laurenzi Jr., who took Ryan Braun’s sample.

Today, through a local law firm, collector Dino Laurenzi Jr. released the following statement:

“On February 24th, Ryan Braun stated during his press conference that “there were a lot of things that we learned about the collector, about the collection process, about the way that the entire thing worked that made us very concerned and very suspicious about what could have actually happened.”  Shortly thereafter, someone who had intimate knowledge of the facts of this case released my name to the media.  I am issuing this statement to set the record straight.

“I am a 1983 graduate of the University of Wisconsin and have received Master Degrees from the University of North Carolina and Loyola University of Chicago.   My full-time job is the director of rehabilitation services at a health care facility.    In the past, I have worked as a teacher and an athletic trainer, including performing volunteer work with Olympic athletes.   I am a member of both the National Athletic Trainers’ Association and the Wisconsin Athletic Trainers’ Association.

“I have been a drug collector for Comprehensive Drug Testing since 2005 and have been performing collections for Major League Baseball’s Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program since that time.    I have performed over 600 collections for MLB and also have performed collections for other professional sports leagues.    I have performed post-season collections for MLB in four separate seasons involving five different clubs.

“On October 1, 2011, I collected samples from Mr. Braun and two other players.  The CDT collection team for that day, in addition to me, included three chaperones and a CDT coordinator.  One of the chaperones was my son, Anthony.  Chaperones do not have any role in the actual collection process, but rather escort the player to the collection area.

“I followed the same procedure in collecting Mr. Braun’s sample as I did in the hundreds of other samples I collected under the Program.   I sealed the bottles containing Mr. Braun’s A and B samples with specially-numbered, tamper-resistant seals, and Mr. Braun signed a form certifying, among other things, that the specimens were capped and sealed in his presence and that the specimen identification numbers on the top of the form matched those on the seals.

“I placed the two bottles containing Mr. Braun’s samples in a plastic bag and sealed the bag.   I then placed the sealed bag in a standard cardboard Specimen Box which I also sealed with a tamper-resistant, correspondingly-numbered seal placed over the box opening.   I then placed Mr. Braun’s Specimen Box, and the Specimen Boxes containing the samples of the two other players, in a Federal Express Clinic Pack.  None of the sealed Specimen Boxes identified the players.  I completed my collections at Miller Park at approximately 5:00 p.m. Given the lateness of the hour that I completed my collections, there was no FedEx office located within 50 miles of Miller Park that would ship packages that day or Sunday.

“Therefore, the earliest that the specimens could be shipped was Monday, October 3.  In that circumstance, CDT has instructed collectors since I began in 2005 that they should safeguard the samples in their homes until FedEx is able to immediately ship the sample to the laboratory, rather than having the samples sit for one day or more at a local FedEx office.  The protocol has been in place since 2005 when I started with CDT and there have been other occasions when I have had to store samples in my home for at least one day, all without incident.

“The FedEx Clinic Pack containing Mr. Braun’s samples never left my custody.  Consistent with CDT’s instructions, I brought the FedEx Clinic Pack containing the samples to my home.  Immediately upon arriving home, I placed the FedEx Clinic Pack in a Rubbermaid container in my office which is located in my basement.   My basement office is sufficiently cool to store urine samples.  No one other than my wife was in my home during the period in which the samples were stored.  The sealed Specimen Boxes were not removed from the FedEx Clinic Pack during the entire period in which they were in my home.  On Monday, October 3, I delivered the FedEx Clinic Pack containing Mr. Braun’s Specimen Box to a FedEx office for delivery to the laboratory on Tuesday, October 4.  At no point did I tamper in any way with the samples.  It is my understanding that the samples were received at the laboratory with all tamper-resistant seals intact.

“This situation has caused great emotional distress for me and my family.  I have worked hard my entire life, have performed my job duties with integrity and professionalism, and have done so with respect to this matter and all other collections in which I have participated.  Neither I nor members of my family will make any further public comments on this matter.  I request that members of the media, and baseball fans, whatever their views on this matter, respect our privacy.  And I would like to sincerely thank my family and friends for their overwhelming support through this difficult time.  Any future inquiries should be directed to my attorney Boyd Johnson of Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale and Dorr LLP.”

More from The Boers and Bernstein Show
  • Homer Simpson

    All those degrees, yet the guy could not figure out if FedEx was actually open or not?

    • dadawg77

      Just saying the question wasn’t if a store was open but if a package would be shipped. A store could be open but not shipping til Monday so the package would sit in a back room unattended.

    • Mr. Mouth

      At least one of the following three things are true:
      1. You’re joking. Your joke sucks and isn’t funny.
      2. You didn’t read this article, which you’re commenting on. This article is less than 900 words long. That makes you profoundly lazy and willfully ignorant. Please refrain from commenting on things you can’t possibly understand as you haven’t put the (minimal!) work into even reading the primary source.
      3. You are so profoundly stupid that, even having read this article, which directly contradicts what you’re saying, you choose to say it anyway. The article very clearly states that the tester was aware that FedExes were open, but was likewise aware that no FedEx would ship until three days later, and further that this was a known issue of long standing for which an established protocol existed, and further that he followed that protocol. I’ll add further that any reasonable person will surmise that the protocol, whereby the tester keeps the sample, makes all the sense in the world. After all, given that no convenient shipping is available, the testing program necessarily faces a choice of whom to leave their sample with in the mean time. It can:
      *insist the sample be dropped off at FedEx and trust that all of the many unknown people at the FedEx over the next three days will not corrupt the sample
      *trust the single sample collector, would already have had every chance to corrupt the sample anyway and whom they therefore necessarily are trusting anyway, or
      *trust and involve some third party.
      It’s obvious to me what the right answer there is. It’s further obvious that you should please be quiet.

      Mr. Mouth

blog comments powered by Disqus
Daily Weather Reports Delivered To You!SIGN UP NOW: Get daily weather reports every morning from meteorologist Steve Baskerville!
CBS Sports Radio RoundupGet your latest sports talk from across the country.

Listen Live