Organizers: South Side Irish Parade Is On
Get Breaking News First
CHICAGO (CBS)– The South Side Irish Parade, which had been halted because of alcohol-related problems, appears to be back.
Organizers told CBS 2 Thursday they have reached agreements that will allow a more tightly regulated parade to be held beginning 11 a.m. March 11 along Western Avenue from 103rd to 115th streets.
The famous – or infamous, to critics — parade was canceled in 2010 and 2011 because of underage drinking and alcohol-fueled brawls. Organizers of the revived event say they will hire a private security firm to ensure public intoxication and open alcohol is not tolerated, and they’ve also discouraged bars from sending charter buses full of drinkers.
“Our security plan … was created to target the problems that plagued the Parade the past few years including public intoxication, underage drinking, lack of respect for the surrounding neighborhood, and unruly spectators from outside the neighborhood,” the parade’s website says.
Organizers are still seeking volunteers and donations. The parade’s website lists Guinness and Bud Light as principal sponsors..
Last month, parade boosters and city officials met privately to discuss plans for a new parade, and even skeptics said it appeared organizers had adequately addressed concerns.