Don't Miss This
CHICAGO (CBS) — As gas prices approach the $5 mark in Chicago, the I-Go car sharing service announced Wednesday that three all-electric vehicles have joined its fleet.
I-Go has added a Nissan Leaf to its car location in the Jewel-Osco parking lot at 2940 N. Ashland Ave., and has added Mitsubishi i-MiEVs to the location at the Illinois Institute of Technology, 3201 S. State St., and at I-Go headquarters, at 2125 W. North Ave. in the Wicker Park neighborhood.
I-Go is also using another Nissan Leaf as a service vehicle.
Meanwhile, I-GO has also announced plans for 16 electric canopy charging stations. Each will have two charging spaces only for I-Go cars, and two more that will be open to the public.
The canopies will each be made up of 44 solar panels, and will generate about 200,000 kilowatt-hours of electricity a year – for the equivalent of 600,000 driving miles and up to 17,000 gallons of gasoline saved by I-Go members.
I-Go is planning for a fleet of 36 all-electric or hybrid vehicles, which will make for the largest electric vehicle fleet in the entire Midwest, according to the service.
The solar canopies will be located at:
• The CTA Brown Line Kimball terminal Park and Ride lot, at Kimball and Lawrence avenues in the Albany Park neighborhood;
• The Ravenswood Professional Building, at 1945 W. Wilson Ave. in the Ravenswood neighborhood;
• The Greenleaf Art Center, at 1806 W. Greenleaf Ave. in the Rogers Park neighborhood;
• The Jewel-Osco parking lot, at 3400 N. Western Ave. in the Roscoe Village neighborhood;
• The Jewel-Osco parking lot, at 2940 N. Ashland Ave. in the Lakeview neighborhood;
• The Jewel-Osco parking lot, at 5516 N. Clark St. in the Andersonville neighborhood;
• The Jewel-Osco parking lot, at 5343 N. Broadway in the Edgewater neighborhood;
• The Jewel-Osco parking lot, at 101 W. 87th St. in the Chatham neighborhood;
• The Jewel-Osco parking lot, at 438 W. Madison St. in Oak Park;
• City of Evanston Municipal Lot #3, at 1702 Chicago Ave. in Evanston;
• City of Evanston Municipal Lot #4, at 2122 Central St. in Evanston;
• City of Evanston Municipal Lot, #32 at 825 Hinman Ave. in Evanston;
• Village of Oak Park lot, in the 1100 block of North Blvd., between Marion and Forest avenues in Oak Park;
• Village of Oak Park Village Hall, at 123 Madison St. in Oak Park;
• Uncommon Ground Restaurant, at 1401 W. Devon Ave. in the Rogers Park-Edgewater neighborhood;
• The Illinois Institute of Technology, at 3201 S. State St.
At IIT, new electric car charging stations opened just last week. The Chicago Transit Authority Board announced plans for electric vehicle chargers at the Kimball terminal last December.