Woman Dies After Being Burned In Wicker Park Fire

CHICAGO (CBS) — A 60-year-old woman died after being severely burned early Thursday in a fire caused by smoking while using oxygen in her Wicker Park neighborhood home.

The fire broke out early Thursday in the 1500 block of North Hoyne Avenue. It was already out when firefighters arrived after receiving a report of smoke in the building at 5:11 a.m., according to Fire Media Affairs.

The fire was put out by a sprinkler, but not before the woman’s bedding caught fire, according to Fire Media Affairs.

In the second-floor apartment firefighters, found the woman, who is in her 60s, with extensive burns covering 90 percent of her body.

The Fire Department later announced the woman had died.

The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.

  • One Or The Other But Not Both

    Read the label.

  • hanz

    I used to be in the HVAC business and every summer you would get calls from the little old ladies that needed their a/c fixed right away because they had emphysema and when we got out there the little old ladies were puffing away on their smokes complaining they could not breathe due to the temperature

blog comments powered by Disqus
Daily Weather Reports Delivered To You!SIGN UP NOW: Get daily weather reports every morning from meteorologist Steve Baskerville!
CBS Sports Radio RoundupGet your latest sports talk from across the country.

Listen Live