Biggs: Don’t Expect Forte To Report To Workouts Monday
Featured & Trending:
Latest News Headlines:
(WSCR) The Bears voluntary offseason workout program begins Monday, and unless there is a major shift between now and then, Pro Bowl running back Matt Forte will not participate.
Forte will not be allowed to participate if he does not sign the tender he received as the team’s franchise player or a long-term contract is not worked out.
“Forte won’t be there if he hasn’t signed a contract – that means a long-term extension, or it could mean him saying, ‘OK, I’ll play for the franchise tag. Maybe we can work something out in the coming months on a long-term deal, but I’ll sign this thing and see you Monday,'” Brad Biggs of the National Football Post and Chicago Tribune told The Mully and Hanley Show. “At this point, there has been no indication that he’s willing to sign the tender for a little more than $7.7 million. If he doesn’t have a deal in place of some type, he won’t be allowed to participate. At this point, yeah, I probably would not expect to see him.”
LISTEN: Brad Biggs on The Mully and Hanley Show
Still, Biggs said not to worry if Forte misses out on the offseason workout program.
“I don’t think anyone should panic over that,” Biggs said. “There was no offseason program last year. Forte showed up in phenomenal shape. That was one of the first reactions you had when we got to Bourbonnais when you saw the guy. You were like ‘Wow. What got into this guy?’ He had worked out so much and gotten bigger and stronger and faster during the offseason. It translated into his best season as a Bear. He knows the offense. Mike Tice has said that nothing is going to change in the running game. So, if this guy were to miss all of the spring, it would be almost a non story to me.”