Local

Quadriplegic Man Rescued From South Side Fire

Fire Graphic

(AP File Photo)

Featured & Trending:

Latest News Headlines:

CHICAGO (STMW) – A mattress fire at a home on the South Side Sunday afternoon was quickly extinguished by firefighters, who also rescued a quadriplegic man from the home and took him to a local hospital to make sure he was not injured.

The fire occurred just after noon at a 2-story brick building at 9128 S. Ellis Ave., Fire Media Affairs Chief Joe Roccasalva said.

The fire “was just a small mattress fire” that was not even in the same part of the home as the 58-year-old man firefighters rescued, but it did produce a lot of smoke, Roccasalva said. The man didn’t appear injured but he was taken to Advocate Trinity Hospital as a precautionary measure, Roccasalva said.

The house was not badly damaged but the man who was rescued likely would not be able to return until the smoke damage was cleaned up.

(Source: Sun-Times Media Wire © Chicago Sun-Times 2012. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)