7 Dead, At Least 21 Wounded In Weekend Violence
Featured & Trending:
Latest News Headlines:
Get Breaking News First
CHICAGO (STMW) – Seven people are dead and at least another 21 people have been wounded in acts of violence across the city since Friday afternoon.
The fatalities include:
• Marek Kaczmarczyk, 43, of the 4500 block of Milwaukee Avenue, who was beaten to death after two men bound him and two women and ransacked his Northwest Side home early Sunday. The two men had apparently been invited into Kaczmarczyk’s apartment and did not force their way inside, police News Affairs Officer Hector Alfaro said.
While inside the apartment, at approximately 1:20 a.m., they bound Kaczmarczyk and two women, then began to beat up the man. They ransacked the apartment and fled. Neither woman was injured, police said. Kaczmarczyk was pronounced dead at the scene, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner’s office.
• Joshua Gonzalez, who was in his 20s, who was found dead with a gunshot to the head about 12:15 a.m. Sunday in the 1600 block of North Mozart Street. Gonzalez, of the 2000 block of North Whipple Street, was pronounced dead at the scene, according to the medical examiner’s office.
• Lekiah White, 28, a pregnant woman who was found dead with a gunshot to the head in her apartment in the 6400 block of South Maryland Avenue about 8 a.m. Saturday. Police said her front door had been kicked in and her home was ransacked. According to the medical examiner’s office, White was pregnant.
• An unidentified man believed to be in his 30s was found dead about 7:30 a.m. Saturday with a gunshot wound to the head in an alley on the 6200 block of South Rhodes Avenue in the Woodlawn neighborhood, police said.
• Christopher Reeves, 21, was killed and three others were wounded in a shooting at 10:51 p.m. Friday while standing on a corner in the 7900 block of South Paulina Avenue in the Englewood neighborhood. Three males got out of a light-colored sedan and opened fire, striking the victims, police said. Reeves, of the 8200 block of South Marshfield Avenue, was shot in the back and taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, where he was pronounced dead. A 24-year-old man was shot in the right arm and was taken to Holy Cross Hospital, where he was listed in stable condition. Another 21-year-old man was shot in the abdomen and was listed in serious condition at JOhn H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County. A 32-year-old woman suffered a gunshot to the ankle and was in stable condition at Holy Cross Hospital.
• Leon Poe, 28, suffered multiple gunshot wounds in the 3400 block of West 83rd Street about 11:50 p.m. on Friday, authorities said. Poe, of the 3100 block of West 84th Place, was taken in critical condition to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, where he was pronounced dead Sunday afternoon, the medical examiner’s office said.
• Felix Lares, 24, was fatally shot while he was standing in a gangway in the 2700 block of South Homan Avenue in the Southwest Side Little Village neighborhood about 8:50 p.m. Friday. A gunman got out of a light-colored pickup truck and opened fire, police said.
Lares, of the 3000 block of South Trumbull Avenue, was shot in the head and chest and pronounced dead at the scene at 9:42 p.m.
The weekend violence began Friday afternoon on the West Side in the 4100 block of West Wilcox Street, where a 26-year-old man was shot in the abdomen at 4:08 p.m., police said. He was taken to John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County in serious condition, but the alleged shooter was taken into custody.
The youngest victim was a 15-year-old boy who was standing in a strip mall lot in the 5000 block of South Cottage Grove Avenue along with a 47-year-old woman when both were shot at 9:05 p.m., police said. The woman was grazed in the shin, while the boy was shot in the left bicep and taken to University of Chicago Comer Children’s Hospital in good condition.
A 16-year-old boy was shot about 9:20 p.m. after several suspects approached him in the 7900 block of South Avalon Avenue, police said. He was taken to Jackson Park Hospital with a gunshot wound to the shoulder, and was listed in “stable” condition.
About 11:30 p.m., an 18-year-old woman was walking with a group of friends in the 6400 block of South Talman Avenue when a shooter inside a light-colored sedan opened fire. She was shot in the left thigh and taken to Holy Cross Hospital in “stable” condition.
About 12:10 a.m. on Saturday, three people were shot in the 6700 block of South Claremont Avenue, less than a mile from where the 18-year-old woman was shot, also in the Southwest Side Marquette Park neighborhood.
A 19-year-old man was shot at 12:18 a.m. in the 1400 block of North Maplewood, police said. He was shot in the leg during an apparent gang-related drive-by shooting, and taken to Saint Elizabeth Medical Center in “stable” condition.
A 22-year-old man realized he was shot about 12:25 a.m. after he heard gunfire in the 3300 block of West Washington Boulevard, police said. A friend dropped him off a Rush University Medical Center with a gunshot wound to the right knee, but doctors transferred him to Stroger Hospital in good condition.
Five minutes later, two men in a group of people were shot in the 8200 block of South Richmond Avenue, police said. One man, 21, was shot in the right calf while the other man, 22, was grazed in the right thigh. Both were treated and released from Little Company of Mary Hospital and Health Care Centers in Evergreen Park.
About 1 a.m. on the West Side, a 26-year-old man was walking in the 3600 block of West Chicago Avenue when a shooter walked up and opened fire, police said. A friend took the man to Norwegian-American Hospital, where he was in “stable” condition with a gunshot wound to the leg.
Saturday night, a man was wounded when he was shot in the Englewood neighborhood. The 23-year-old man was shot in the 7800 block of South Hamilton Avenue about 6:55 p.m., police said. Paramedics took the man to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn in serious condition.
A few hours later a man was wounded in a shooting on the northern edge of the city in the Rogers Park area. He was on the sidewalk in the 1500 block of West Howard Street at 10 p.m. when he heard gunshots, police said. The 25-year-old later walked into Saint Francis Hospital in Evanston with a gunshot wound to the arm and was listed in “stable” condition.
On Sunday, a man checked himself into Jackson Park Hospital after he was shot in the leg near the intersection of East 72nd Street and South Bennett Avenue about 2:15 p.m., police said, adding that his condition was not immediately known.
At 6:30 p.m. on Sunday, a 16-year-old boy was shot in the back and the leg near the intersection of East 71st Street and South Champlain Avenue, police said. Paramedics took the boy in “stable” condition to Comer Children’s Hospital, police said.
(Source: Sun-Times Media Wire © Chicago Sun-Times 2012. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)