CBS 2 Chicago wbbm7801059 670 The Score

Local

Teenage Girl Shot Twice Within A Month In Joliet

Crime Scene Tape generic sized image

Photo Of Crime Scene Tape (John Li/Getty Images)

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up
Don't Miss This

JOLIET, Ill. (CBS) — The city of Chicago isn’t the only place where young people have to worry about the possibility of being shot.

As WBBM Newsradio’s Bernie Tafoya reports, one teenage girl from Joliet found that out twice in the last month.

LISTEN: WBBM Newsradio’s Bernie Tafoya reports

Police say Malikha Mills, 17, was shot in the right leg around 10 p.m. tuesay in the 1500 block of Englewood Avenue in Joliet. She had been standing near a car talking with some other people when between 10 and 12 shots rang out.

This was the second time Mills had been shot recently. Both shootings happened within a block of each other.

In the Tuesday incident, police Cmdr. Brian Benton said Mills started to run for cover inside a residence and suffered a through-and-through wound to her right leg.”

A 2-year-old girl, who was being held by her mother, also was injured. Police believe she was grazed by flying glass from the car window that shattered nearby.

Mills was taken by ambulance to Silver Cross Hospital in New Lenox and treated for the bullet wound in the right leg, the same as she was three weeks ago.

Just before midnight on June 17, Mills attended an outdoor party in the 1400 block of Englewood when Ian C. Warren, 29, allegedly walked up and shot Ruben L. Porter, 27, several times in the stomach, back, arms and leg.

Mills, Katriel J. Walters, 26, and Frederick D. Myers, 20, also were struck by the shots. Walters was hit in both legs, while Myers was struck in the arm.

All of the victims survived their injuries and were described as “uncooperative” by investigators.

But detectives reportedly identified Warren as the shooter and obtained a warrant carrying a $1 million bond for his arrest. Warren remains at large, and police believe he has left the area.

No suspect information was available in Tuesday’s attack.

“The victim (told detectives) she has no reason to believe she was being targeted in this shooting, either,” Benton said.

The Joliet Herald-News contributed to this report, via the Sun-Times Media Wire.

(Source: Sun-Times Media Wire © Chicago Sun-Times 2012. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)