Kurtis, Jacobson To Anchor 6 P.M. Newscast Through February 2013
Get Breaking News First
CHICAGO (CBS) — While celebrating the second anniversary of their return to WBBM-TV, Bill Kurtis and Walter Jacobson today told colleagues on Tuesday that their contracts to anchor the station’s weekday 6 p.m. newscast have been extended through February 2013.
The legendary news team went on to say that they will hand over their 6 p.m. anchor duties to Rob Johnson and Kate Sullivan, who currently anchor the station’s weekday 5 and 10 p.m. newscasts, as of March 1, 2013.
Since Kurtis and Jacobson returned to the station as co-anchors of CBS 2 NEWS AT 6 P.M. on August 23, 2010, they have helped contribute to the across-the-board ratings growth of CBS 2’s newscasts. Previously, Kurtis and Jacobson anchored the station’s weekday 10 p.m. news, the market’s dominant, top-rated newscast, from 1973-82.
“Bill and Walter’s influence goes well beyond the recent improvement of our 6 p.m. news,” said Bruno Cohen, President and General Manager of CBS 2. “We owe them a double-debt of gratitude: first for their role in the ‘70’s and ‘80’s, when they set the bar for journalistic success in Chicago; and again today for their key role in the resurgence of CBS 2 News. We look forward to continuing our association with them.”
“Two years ago, CBS 2 management asked me and Walter to return to WBBM-TV and help re-establish Channel 2’s news,” said Kurtis. “While we are well on our way, our return was never intended to last more than a couple of years. Come 2013, I need more time to focus on my other businesses.”
“I look forward to another six months of anchoring with Bill,” said Jacobson. “I’ve loved being back behind the anchor desk for the Chicago mayoral race, the NATO Summit and all of the other recent, big local stories. Just ahead is the presidential election this fall. After that, it’s the right time to pass the baton over to Rob and Kate.”