2 Dead, 6 Injured So Far In Weekend Shootings
Featured & Trending:
Latest News Headlines:
Get Breaking News First
CHICAGO (CBS) — Two people are dead, and six others have been injured, in shootings so far this weekend.
The deadly shooting happened around 5:40 a.m. Saturday in the 11600 block of South Wallace Street, in the West Pullman neighborhood.
Police responding to a call of shots fired found a vehicle had crashed into a porch. The driver of the car — a known gang member — was dead at the scene with a gunshot wound to the chest, police said. Authorities have so far withheld the victim’s name, pending notification of relatives.
The Cook County Medical Examiner’s office identified the driver as Mark Woodson, 36, of the 5000 block of Virginia Street in Gary, Ind.
A teenage boy also died on Saturday after he was critically wounded in a drive-by shooting on the Southwest Side.
Jesus Garcia, 17, was in the 2900 block of West 56th Street when shots were fired Friday evening, authorities said. Garcia, of the 5200 block of South Fairfield Avenue, was taken in critical condition to John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County, where he died Saturday at 9:57 a.m., authorities said.
The shooting appeared to be gang-related, police said.
In other incidents:
• A 16-year-old boy was critically wounded by gunfire in the Southwest Side’s Gage Park neighborhood. He was on the 2900 block of West 56th Street he was shot around 8:40 p.m. Friday.
The victim was taken to Stroger Hospital of Cook County in critical condition following the shooting, which was believed to be gang-related, police said.
• Around 11:55 p.m. Friday, a 19-year-old man was shot and wounded while standing with a group of people in the 8200 block of South Maryland Avenue, in the East Chatham neighborhood The victim was shot once in the leg and taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, where he was reported in stable ondition, police said.
• Around 12:50 a.m. Saturday, two men were shot and wounded in the 6700 block of South Bishop Street, in the Englewood neighborhood.
A 33-year-old man was in the 6700 block of South Bishop Street when a man he didn’t know walked up, shot him, and ran off, police said. A 49-year-old man, who was inside a home around the corner in the 1400 block of West Marquette Road, was also struck by the gunfire.
Both men were taken in good condition to Stroger Hospital of Cook County, with the 33-year-old shot in the thigh and the 49-year-old shot in the abdomen, police said.
• A woman was shot around 6:55 a.m. Saturday in the Northwest Side’s Avondale neighborhood. The 30-year-old woman was shot multiple times in the 2900 block of North Ridgeway Avenue, and was taken in critical condition to Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center, police said.
• The shootings continued even I the middle of the day on Saturday. Around 12:30 p.m., a man was wounded in a shooting in the 2100 block of North Latrobe Avenue, in the Belmont-Cragin neighborhood.
The man, who is believed to have been in his mid-30s, was taken in serious condition at Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center, police said.
The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.