No Bond For Teen Accused Of Plotting To Bomb Downtown Bar
Featured & Trending:
Latest News Headlines:
Get Breaking News First
CHICAGO (CBS) – An 18-year-old man from Hillside has been ordered held without bond, after he was indicted on charges he plotted to detonate what he thought was a car bomb outside a downtown bar.
Adel Daoud was indicted on felony charges of attempt to use a weapon of mass destruction and attempt to damage or destroy a building by means of an explosive, according to the U.S. Attorney’s office.
Thursday afternoon, Daoud appeared before U.S. Magistrate Judge Arlander Keys, who said Daoud is a clear and present danger to the community, and denied him bond until he has a formal hearing.
Daoud was arrested last week, after an undercover operation by federal authorities.
Federal prosecutors have said he developed plans to set off a bomb, searched for a target, and checked it out.
In choosing a bar as his target, he said a bar would have the largest number of people inside at night, and he could set up the explosives under cover of darkness, prosecutors said.
He also said such an attack “won’t kill any Muslims for sure . . . [a]nd if you do it’s their fault,” prosecutors said. Drinking alcohol is not permitted for observant Muslims.
Authorities said Daoud was closely monitored by undercover officers throughout the operation, and was offered several opportunities to change his mind and walk away from the supposed attack.
But he did not, and the undercover agents supplied the harmless dud explosives he allegedly attempted to detonate, according to federal prosecutors.
He justified killing civilians on the grounds that “you can’t really take these people as regular people. They’re like, more like robots” because they are “for the war on terrorism,” prosecutors said in the original criminal complaint against Daoud.
The federal complaint against Daoud did not specify the bar that he targeted. But Mike Fierstein, whose family owns Cal’s Bar and Liquors at 400 S. Wells St., told the Sun-Times Media Wire he is convinced that his bar was the target.
At an earlier court appearance, Daoud’s father called his son “an innocent baby,” and Daoud’s defense attorney, Tom Durkin, has called the case against him “fishy.”
“This is not the first case of this nature I’ve had,” Durkin said. “I’ve had several of them. I was involved in a 9-11 case in Guantanamo. I know terrorism cases. This doesn’t smell like a terrorism case. It smells like there’s something wrong with this case.”
Durkin was asked if he meant Daoud was entrapped, to which he replied: “No, don’t put words in my mouth.”
“I’ve had 18-year-olds in my house before and they’re pretty impressionable,” he continued. “Is this the case? I don’t know. But I’m suspicious.”
He said if the government is to be believed, it sounds like Daoud was on the Internet talking nonsense.
“Does that mean that he has radical Islamic beliefs? I don’t know. I know when my kids were 18 might have said some stupid stuff,” Durkin said.
Meanwhile, Daoud’s father called his accused son “the best in the family, and “an innocent baby,” moments before the teenage son he was talking about was led into court wearing an orange jumpsuit, with his hair in a long Afro style.