2 Sparrows’ Pumpkin Pop Tart
Lastest News Headlines:
Get Breaking News First
Pumpkin Pop Tart
Recipe By: Amy Biller, 2 Sparrows
Yield: 10 tarts
Tart Dough Ingredients:
All-purpose flour 3 cups
Sugar 1 tsp
Salt 1 tsp
Butter, cubed, chilled 8 oz
Water, cold 1/4 to 1/2 cup
Pumpkin Filling Ingredients:
Cream cheese, softened 1 pound
Powdered sugar ¾ cup
Pumpkin puree 1-15 oz can
Pumpkin pie spice ¼ tsp
Egg, whisked with 1 T. water 1
Make the tart dough:
1. Mix flour, sugar and salt together in bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle. Add butter and mix on medium speed until butter is pea-sized.
2. With mixer running on low speed, add 1/4 to 1/2 cup water slowly, just until dough comes together.
3. Continue to mix dough at medium speed for 3 minutes.
4. Flatten dough and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate dough for at least 2 hours before rolling out.
Make the tart filling:
1. Cook pumpkin puree and spices in a pan on the stove over medium heat until most of the moisture is evaporated. Stirring occasionally, approximately 10 minutes. Cool puree before adding to the cream cheese mixture.
2. Place softened cream cheese in mixer fitted with a paddle. Add powdered sugar and mix until light and fluffy.
3. Add cooled pumpkin puree to cream cheese and powdered sugar and mix until there are no white streaks.
4. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Constructing the tarts:
1. Roll out dough to 1/8 inch thick. Cut dough into ten 6- by 5-inch rectangles. Using a fork, poke each rectangle several times.
2. Fill a plastic bag with pumpkin filling and cut off a small amount of the corner. With the dough rectangles laying horizontal, pipe the pumpkin filling one ½ of the rectangle, leaving 1/2-inch edge of dough around all sides. Brush egg wash around the filling and fold the other half of the dough on top. Press the dough down to seal edges.
3. Using a fork, go around all edges pressing down to make sure no filling will leak when the tarts bake.
4. Place pop tarts on a parchment-lined cookie sheet. Lightly score tops with an “X” so pop tarts do not balloon in the oven. Brush tart tops with egg wash and bake at 375 degrees F for 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown on top. Serve immediately.
Note: Cooled tarts can be frozen and reheated in an oven or toasted oven.