Chicago Police vehicle. (Credit: CBS)

Chicago Police vehicle. (Credit: CBS)

CHICAGO (CBS)– Eight people are dead and at least 30 others — including seven teens — have been wounded in violence throughout the city since Friday night.

Seven of the dead were shot, while another was stabbed to death.

The first fatal shooting of the weekend happened 6:20 p.m. Friday in the 4200 block of South Wells Street. That’s where William Lee Martin, 30, of Springfield, was shot dead after shooters emerged from a vacant lot and opened fire at some men gathered on a porch. A bullet went through a window of the building and hit Martin. Three other men were wounded in the shooting, police said.

About 7 p.m. Friday, a woman went to pick up some belongings in a building where she was formerly a tenant, in the 8200 block of South Dobson Avenue in the Chatham neighborhood, police said. When she went to investigate a smell coming from another apartment, she found a man who had been shot to death, in a vacant apartment. Authorities identified the man as Timothy E. Kinds, 32, of the 1100 block of East 81st Place.

About 9:30 p.m., a man was killed and two others were critically wounded in a shooting in the Uptown neighborhood, police said. Aswell Selmon, 46, was shot multiple times not far from his home in the 5000 block of North Winthrop Avenue, authorities said. He later died at Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center.

In the Englewood neighborhood, a drive-by shooting claimed the life of a 33-year-old man in the 6100 block of South Morgan Street. Tremayne Franklin was shot dead when shots were fired from a passing light colored sedan about 11:09 p.m., authorities said, adding that the shooting appeared to be gang-related.

On Saturday at about 12:25 a.m., Marlon L. Vaughn, 28, was fatally stabbed in the chest in the 1200 block of South Sawyer Avenue in the Lawndale neighborhood, authorities said. Vaughn, of the 3400 block of West Douglas Boulevard, later died at Mount Sinai Hospital.

About 2:30 a.m., police found Walter K. Pate, 29, of Riverdale, shot dead inside a vehicle in the 300 block of West 37th Street in the Armour Square neighborhood, authorities said.

About 3 p.m., Shemara Fitzpatrick, 23, was shot in the chest in the 4800 block of West Fulton Street when a vehicle pulled up and a person with a gun got out and opened fire, authorities said. Fitzpatrick, of the 1100 block of West Grace Street, later died at Mount Sinai Hospital. A 34-year-old man was also shot and listed in serious condition.

Among the 27 wounded were two men and a woman shot Saturday night in the South Shore neighborhood. The two men, both 20, were shot inside a club about 10:45 p.m. in the 1400 block of East 75th Street, police said. The two suspects also shot a woman down the street as they were running away.

One man suffered a gunshot wound to the left hand and a graze wound to the back, while the other man had gunshot wounds to the shoulder and leg, police said. Both are in “stable” condition. The woman, 26, was taken in critical condition to Northwestern Memorial Hospital with gunshot wounds to both legs and her buttocks.

Early Sunday, a 39-year-old man was shot while in his car at a stop sign in the 1400 block of West 47th Street. He was taken to Stroger Hospital, where his condition was said to be stable, police said.

Five teenagers were among those wounded in weekend violence. On Friday, a 16-year-old girl suffered a graze wound to the chest in the 1200 block of South Wood Street about 7 p.m., police said, and a 14-year-old boy was shot in the leg during a drive-by in the 4300 block of South Calumet Avenue about 8 p.m. Both teens were listed in good condition.

On Saturday, a boy and a girl, both 14 years old, were shot in the 7700 block of South Carpenter Street about 6:33 p.m. on Saturday, police said. The boy was shot in the left leg and buttocks, police said, and the girl was shot in the right leg. Both were taken to Comer Children’s Hospital.

On Sunday about 1:15 p.m., a 15-year-old boy suffered a gunshot wound to the abdomen in the 8300 block of South Kingston Avenue. He was taken in “stable” condition to Comer Children’s Hospital, police said.

(Source: Sun-Times Media Wire © Chicago Sun-Times 2012. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Watch & Listen LIVE