UPDATED: 1/28/2013 – 4:01 p.m.
CHICAGO (CBS) — A North Side family is grieving after a woman and her granddaughter died, apparently of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Relatives told CBS 2’s Derrick Blakley the two women woke up feeling ill.
The only working carbon monoxide detector in the apartment building — a two-story building the family owns in West Rogers Park — was in the wrong place. It was in the basement, not far from the furnace, near an open window.
Assistant Deputy Fire Cmsr. Mark Nielsen said, “That could have created a draft that’s significant to keep C.O. away from that detector.”
When paramedics arrived Sunday morning, 18-year-old Zanib Ahmed was suffering seizures, and her 77-year-old grandmother Rasheeda Akhter was in cardiac arrest. Both died at Swedish Covenant Hospital.