For more trusted health
news and information,
visit CBS Chicago's
CHICAGO (CBS) — Students and faculty at Purdue University are dealing with a heath scare after the discovery of a rare and potentially fatal disease on campus.
A cafeteria worker at the West Lafayette, Ind., school has been diagnosed with Typhoid Fever.
Anybody eating at several on-campus dining areas over a three-day period could be at risk.
The illness is very rare in the United States—only about 400 cases are reported each year.
It can also be fatal but is typically easily treated with antibiotics.
The school is working with the Indiana Department Of Health to identify those who may have been exposed.
State health officials announced that a worker at Marriott Hall is positive for typhoid fever. The patient contracted the disease while traveling internationally. Now, anybody who ate at Boiler Bistro, the John Purdue Room, or Lavazza coffee shop from Jan. 23 to Jan. 25 should be on the lookout for symptoms, CBS station WLFI reported.
Typhoid fever is an infection that causes a high fever, diarrhea and a rash.
The bacteria that cause typhoid fever — S. typhi — spreads through contaminated food, drink, or water.
Early symptoms include fever and abdominal pain. A high (typically over 103 degrees) fever and severe diarrhea occur as the disease gets worse.