UPDATED: 4/15/2013 9:50 a.m.
CHICAGO (STMW) — Four men were killed with at least 21 others wounded in shootings across the city since Friday night.
The most recent death was Larry Ranole, 28, who was shot and killed in the 1200 block of West 97th Street Saturday afternoon, according to authorities. He was pronounced dead at Little Company of Mary Hospital and Medical Center in Evergreen Park at 1:35 p.m.
About 2:45 a.m. Saturday Jonathan Santiago, 19, was shot and killed in the Humboldt Park neighborhood, authorities said. He was standing in a group in the 3300 block of West Beach Avenue about 2:45 a.m. when two males came out of a nearby gangway and opened fire, striking him in the chest, police said. Santiago was pronounced dead at Norwegian-American Hospital at 3:12 a.m., according to the Cook County Medical Examiner’s office.
One man was killed and two other people were wounded in a shooting on the Northwest Side Saturday morning.
Miguel Cancel, 19, was shot and killed in the 4200 block of West Irving Park Road when a gunman opened fire on the car he and two others were travelling in early Saturday, authorities said.
He was pronounced dead at John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County at 9:05 a.m., the medical examiner’s office said. A 22-year-old man was shot in the left and right thighs and taken to Norwegian-American Hospital, and also transferred to Stroger, police said. A 19-year-old woman was shot in the right arm and taken to Norwegian-American Hospital in “stable” condition.
Friday night, 34-year-old Kevin Sanders was shot and killed in the South Chicago neighborhood, police said. A south suburban Alsip man has been charged in connection with his death.
Sanders was found about 11:10 p.m. with multiple gunshot wounds to the abdomen, authorities said. Sanders, of the 8900 block of South Mackinaw Avenue, was taken to Advocate Trinity Hospital, where he later died, the medical examiner’s office said. Police said Sanders and another man went outside after getting into an argument inside the home in the 8700 block of South Burley Avenue. Sanders was shot dead in an ensuing exchange of gunfire.
Brandon Ewing, 24, was charged with one count of first-degree murder, police said. Ewing, of the 3700 block of West 119th Street in Alsip, was also shot in the dispute and taken to Advocate Trinity Hospital for treatment, police said. A weapon was recovered at the scene.
At least 21 other people have been wounded in non-fatal shootings since Friday night:
– The most recent shooting occurred about 3 a.m. Sunday, when two men were shot in the West Pullman neighborhood on the South Side. The two men were near 116th and Halsted streets when they were both shot at least once in the leg, police said. Both men were taken to Roseland Community Hospital for treatment.
– About 10:13 p.m. Sunday, a 24-year-old man was shot in the leg in the 400 block of South Keeler Avenue, police said. He was in “stable” condition, but it was not immediately known which area hospital he was taken to.
– A 17-year-old boy was shot in the neck in the West Englewood neighborhood Sunday night, police said. The shooting occurred shortly after 10 p.m. in the 5700 block of South Ada Street, police said. The boy was shot after “a verbal altercation” with another person on the sidewalk, police said. He was taken to John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County in serious condition.
– About 6 p.m. Sunday a 17-year-old boy was shot in the back in the 1500 block of South Millard Avenue, police said. He was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital in critical condition, Fire Media Affairs said.
– About 3 p.m. Sunday three people were critically wounded in a shooting in the 7400 block of South Champlain Avenue, according to Fire Media Affairs. Two were taken to John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County, fire media said. A third victim was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital.
– A 16-year-old boy was taken in good condition to Northwestern Memorial Hospital after being shot in the right leg at 2:54 p.m. in the 3600 block of South Cottage Grove Avenue, police said.
– Saturday, about 9:15 p.m., a 17-year-old boy was shot in the Far South Side Roseland neighborhood, police said. The boy was walking in an alley in the 900 block of West 95th Street about 9:15 p.m. when he was shot in the upper left part of his chest, police said. After he was shot, the teen boarded a CTA bus. Shortly after he got on, the driver noticed the boy had been shot and stopped to call police near the intersection of 95th and Halsted, police said. The teen was taken to John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County in “stable” condition, police said.
– Early Saturday, a man was shot in the South Side Auburn Gresham neighborhood. The 31-year-old man was standing on the sidewalk in the 8000 block of South Union Avenue about 3:35 a.m. when a man walked up and opened fire, police said. He was struck in the back and taken to John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County in “stable” condition, police said.
Aside from the charges filed in the Sanders homicide, no one was in custody for the shootings early Monday as detectives investigated.
(Source: Sun-Times Media Wire © Chicago Sun-Times 2013. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)