CHICAGO (STMW) — A Chicago man who worked with a traveling carnival was sentenced to more than 40 years in prison Wednesday after pleading guilty to sexually assaulting two toddlers in attacks he recorded on video.
Wilfredo Elias, 29, pleaded guilty to predatory criminal sexual assault, aggravated criminal sexual assault and sexual assault, according to a statement from the Cook County State’s Attorney’s office. He was sentenced to 41 years in prison and must serve at least 85 percent.
Elias admitted sexually assaulting two girls — ages 2 and 3 — multiple times in 2011 while babysitting, prosecutors said.
He recorded several of the sexual assaults and saved the videos, which a family member discovered on a USB drive, according to prosecutors. The family member called police, who found multiple videos of Elias assaulting the girls, who were left in his care.
Authorities took Elias into custody in September 2012 in Missouri, where he was working as a carny, prosecutors said. He has been held in Cook County Jail without bond since then.
“Given the heinous nature of the sexual assaults against these defenseless children, we are pleased that this defendant will be behind bars for a very long time and unable to prey on any other potential victims,” State’s Atty. Anita Alvarez said in the statement.
(Source: Sun-Times Media Wire © Chicago Sun-Times 2013. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)