(CBS) Before the start of the Western Conference Finals between the Chicago Blackhawks and Los Angeles Kings, mayor Rahm Emanuel posted a letter on his Facebook page to Los Angeles mayor Antonio Villaraigosa.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that while all men and women are created equal, all hockey teams are not, and that the Chicago Blackhawks are endowed with certain unalienable skills; that among these are outstanding defensive play, crisp passing, sharp shooting, tremendous goalkeeping, an intensity that is rivaled in neither the East nor the West, masterful coaching and a rightful place as the 2013 NHL Western Conference Champions (and ultimately 2013 Stanley Cup Champions),” Emanuel wrote.
Emanuel proceeded to bet Villaraigosa the following if the Kings could defeat the Blackhawks in the best-of-seven series:
• 25 Italian beef sandwiches from Al’s Italian Beef
• 3 Cases of Goose Island’s 312 Lager beer
• One case of Robinson’s Ribs Barbecue Sauce, containing the flavors Original, Brown Sugar and Hot.
• 25 Slices of Eli’s Cheesecake — a “hat trick” of Original, Strawberry, and Chocolate Chip flavors.
• One copy of The Warmth of Other Suns: The Epic Story of America’s Great Migration, for you to read in your forthcoming retirement.
On Monday, Mayor Villaraigosa responded, raising the stakes.
“I was recently surprised to learn that Chicago has a professional ice hockey team,” Villaraigosa wrote. “Who knew? Has this team been in Chicago long? Do they practice out on Lake Michigan when it freezes over in those famously cold and windy winters of yours?
“Since I appreciated your gesture so much, I wanted to reciprocate. So in the extremely unlikely case that the Los Angeles Kings, the reigning NHL champions, were to lose to the other team — I really wish I could remember the name of the team the Los Angeles Kings, the reigning NHL Champions, are playing – I will send you the following:
- 9 #19 Pastrami Sandwiches from Langer’s Deli
- 9 French Dip Sandwiches from Phillipe the Original
- For the sandwiches, one case of Morehouse Mustard, the official mustard of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Speaking of baseball, when was the last time the Cubs were in the World Series?
- One case of beer each from our very own Golden Road and Eagle Rock Breweries.
- 3 Hollenbeck Burritos from El Tepeyac Cafe, weighing in at five pounds each.
- 12 bottles of Sriracha Chili Suace
- And to ensure that you maintain your newfound inner peace, one copy of YogaWorks for Everybody DVD.