CHICAGO (CBS) – Police Supt. Garry McCarthy said Monday that the city should not necessarily have to end a contract with the anti-violence group CeaseFire, after its director was charged with domestic abuse for allegedly punching and kicking his wife.
WBBM’s Bernie Tafoya reports the organization helps mediate disputes between street gangs, and is working under a $1 million contract with the city as part of an effort to prevent retaliatory shootings in two high-crime neighborhoods.
Last week, CeaseFire executive director Tio Hardiman was arrested for domestic battery after his wife accused him of hitting and kicking her during a domestic dispute.
McCarthy said “being in the public eye, obviously, perhaps it gets more attention and it’s embarrassing, and I am certainly aware of that. But as far as the program goes, you know the program is going to be evaluated on its success or failure, and how effective it is, not this issue with Tio Hardiman.”
The superintendent said his heart goes out to Mr. and Mrs. Hardiman.
“Anybody involved in some sort of crisis like that, you know, they’re all victims,” he said.
Hardiman is on leave from his position at CeaseFire, but has said he is innocent of the charges against him.