Cubs’ Marmol Cleared As Woman Drops Sexual Assault Lawsuit
CHICAGO (STMW) — Cubs reliever Carlos Marmol said Monday the woman who accused him last fall of sexual assault has dropped her civil suit against him in the Dominican Republic, the Chicago Sun-Times is reporting.
Marmol, who has vigorously denied any wrongdoing, had brought a countersuit alleging extortion.
“Everything’s clear. It’s all done,” said Marmol, who said he was informed by his Dominican attorneys late last week. “They dropped it. I feel very good about it.”
Marmol didn’t pay a settlement. His representatives, backed by news reports from the Dominican, said police investigated but found insufficient evidence to pursue criminal charges.
Marmol, in the final year of a contract that pays $9.8 million this year, has pitched two perfect innings with four strikeouts since getting the news.
“It’s been good [on the mound]. I feel good,” Marmol said. “I’m very confident.”
(Source: Sun-Times Media Wire © Chicago Sun-Times 2013. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)