Four Contract E Coli After Eating At Lombard Restaurant
Featured & Trending:
Latest News Headlines:
Get Breaking News First
LOMBARD, Ill. (STMW) — Four people contracted E. coli after eating at a west suburban restaurant, which has since been closed, DuPage County health officials said.
An investigation started Monday after several reports of customers of Los Burritos Mexicanos at 1015 E. Saint Charles Rd. in Lombard suffered a gastrointestinal illness, according to a statement DuPage County Health Dept.
Of those four were later confirmed by lab testing to have cases of E. coli, the health dept. said. Two patients were discharged after being treated at hospitals, while two others did not require hospitalization. All are now recovering, the statement said.
At least some of the confirmed cases were caused by bacteria known as “Shiga toxin-producing E. coli O157:H7,” health officials said. Such an infection causes diarrhea, often bloody, though most adults recover completely in about a week. Some cases, however, can lead to more severe disease, including kidney failure.
The restaurant is cooperating with health officials and has been closed pending results of the investigation, the health dept. said.
Anyone who dined at the restaurant between May 24 and June 14, and developed diarrheal illness within two to 10 days, should call a physician and report the illness to the Health Dept. at (630) 221-7040 or (630) 682-7400.
(Source: Sun-Times Media Wire © Chicago Sun-Times 2013. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)