Local

Teen Says He Got E. Coli From Burrito At Lombard Restaurant

Matthew Maksymec. (Credit: CBS)

Matthew Maksymec. (Credit: CBS)

Pamela Jones Pamela Jones
Pamela Jones serves as a general assignment reporter for CBS 2...
Read More

CBS Chicago (con't)

Affordable Care Act Updates: CBSChicago.com/ACA

Health News & Information: CBSChicago.com/Health

(CBS) – A local teen says he got sick because of a burrito he ate from a local restaurant that’s now the focus of an e coli outbreak.

Meanwhile, that restaurant is now closed as the number of cases of suspected e. Coli grows. CBS 2’s Pamela Jones talked to the teen in his hospital bed… in this original report.

“Just stabbing into my stomach. I couldn’t handle it at all,” said Matthew Maksymec.

Stabbing pains Matthew Maksymec thinks may have come from a few bites of a bad burrito.

Maksymec says he ate a burrito June 4, purchased from Burritos Mexicanos on Saint Charles Road in Lombard. It’s the same restaurant now closed after the DuPage County Health Department launched an e. Coli investigation.

Maksymec says his stomach started cramping about three days after he ate the burrito.

He says he struggled to make it through graduation at Willowbrook High.

“I just know that I ate there that night. And three to four days later I started feeling bad,” said Maksymec.

He says doctors at the University of Chicago Medical Center have run all kinds of tests. The health department has confirmed several e. Coli cases – but so far, not Maksymec’s.

He does have what could be one of the complications though. His kidneys are not working normally – so his plasma gets pumped from his body once a day – and replaced.

“It’s a local hangout that he went to and a lot of kids eat there and you just don’t expect that to happen,” said Annette Maksymec.

Health officials say so far 17 people have reported getting sick from the restaurant.

They say if you ate there between May 24 and June 14 and got sick, call a doctor and the DuPage County Health Department.

Maksymec’s brother who ate there did not get any symptoms, but we’re told his dad did and he’s helping the health department with the investigation.