Tree Trimmer Shocked While Working Near Power Lines In Elgin
Don't Miss This
Get Breaking News First
ELGIN, Ill. (STMW) – A tree removal worker was critically injured when a tool he was using touched a power line Monday afternoon in northwest suburban Elgin.
A group of contractors was attempting to remove a large portion of a tree near utility lines in the 400 block of South Street. A 22-year-old worker was using a long pole that came into contact with a Commonwealth Edison wire about 1:15 p.m. Monday, according to a statement from the Elgin Fire Department.
The worker collapsed to the ground and emergency crews found him not breathing, the Fire Department said. Police determined the area was safe and officers performed CPR until paramedics arrived.
Paramedics re-established a pulse and breathing, then took the man to Presence St. Joseph Hospital in Elgin in critical condition, the statement said. He was later transferred to Loyola University Medical Center in Maywood for treatment of burns from the high voltage electricity.
(Source: Sun-Times Media Wire © Chicago Sun-Times 2013. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)