CBS 2 Chicago wbbm7801059 670 The Score

Local

Fire Damages Animal Shelter In Munster

View Comments
A dryer at the Humane Society animal shelter in Munster, Ind., caught fire overnight, filling the shelter with smoke. (Credit: CBS)

A dryer at the Humane Society animal shelter in Munster, Ind., caught fire overnight, filling the shelter with smoke. (Credit: CBS)

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

MUNSTER, Ind. (CBS) – An animal shelter in northwest Indiana was asking for donations of towels and blankets, after a fire in their laundry room overnight destroyed most of their linens.

CBS 2’s Susanna Song reports, around 10:45 p.m. Tuesday, a dryer caught fire at the Humane Society Calumet Area facility in Munster, Ind.

Smoke filled the building as firefighters rushed to the scene.

No animals were injured, but they were temporarily evacuated from the building to get them away from the smoke.

The fire destroyed about 75 percent of the shelter’s linens. Workers laid out the burned blankets and towels early Wednesday. They’ll have to be thrown out.

Some of the cats and dogs at the shelter were moved into the clinic to make sure they don’t inhale any more smoke, and they stay away from any fire damage. Most animals were returned to their cages after firefighters cleared the building of smoke.

“All the animals are accounted for, and doing really good. We’re definitely keeping an eye on the eyes of all our animals; and then also checking, making sure they all are breathing well,” shelter manager Danny Martinez said.

The shelter has enough towels to keep the animals clean for now, but once the towels are soiled, they’ll need to be replenished.

Anyone willing to donate towels, bedding, or blankets for the animals should bring them to the shelter at 421 45th Ave starting at 8 a.m. Wednesday.

View Comments