Firefighter Hurt When Chimney Collapses During Fire
Featured & Trending:
Latest News Headlines:
Get Breaking News First
CHICAGO (CBS) – A Chicago firefighter was rushed to a hospital overnight, after a chimney collapsed as he was on the scene of a fire in West Englewood.
WBBM Newsradio’s Bernie Tafoya reports firefighters were called to a house fire in the 6800 block of South Winchester Avenue shortly after 2 a.m.
Fire Chief Joe Roccasalva said a firefighter was hurt while helping to tear down a ceiling on the 2nd floor to search for hotspots in the attick, when a chimney collapsed, and bricks and wood landed on him.
Other firefighters were nearby, and pulled him out of the debris, then took him to an ambulance.
Roccasalva said the firefighter complained of back and head injuries.
He was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, but his injuries were not life-threatening.
No one else was hurt.