Teens Charged In Fairground Bomb Plot
CHICAGO (CBS) — A teenager who had an explosive device in his backpack was arrested last week at an Indiana county fair.
LaPorte County Sheriff’s police received a 911 call last Thursday from a person who said the teen intended to set off the device near the carnival rides.
Police responded and within seven minutes located the suspect and arrested him shortly after 9 p.m.
Members of the bomb squad disabled the explosive device.
The 16-year-old suspect, whose name was not released, was charged with possession of a destructive device, a class “C” felony.
Another teenager who had been standing nearby began to argue with deputies and was taken into custody for disorderly conduct. At one point, officers had to subdue the teenager with pepper spray.
Upon further investigation, police discovered that another 16-year-old was involved in making the device. He was charged with manufacturing a destructive device, a class “C” felony.
Both were transported to the Juvenile Services Center.
In a news release, Sheriff Michael Mollenhauer praised the willingness of citizens to report the incident.
The call to 911 possibly thwarted a violent tragedy at the heavily populated La Porte County Fair, he said.